Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Here Fishy Fishy...

Hello - I’m Carolyn Veres - I’m with troop 164 and I’m part of the Orange Park service unit. I went to North Fork on the 11th of August to help out with the pond that is in the beginning of camp right at the entrance. What they wanted us to do is get all - well most - of the fish out of the pond so they can make it bigger.

The way we had to get them I thought would hurt the fish, but the Wildlife Conservation group said that 95% of the fish would be safe from the electrical shock. Now I’m not that smart on fish stuff, but I thought they would die!

After they said it won’t hurt them, we all got into groups of two so one of us would work the pedal that would shock the fish and one it catch them with a net and them put the fish in a bucket that was right behind them.

It was fun but very slow waiting for the fish to come up to the surface, but we got them.

We keep that up for about 4 hours - man was that hot and tiring - but after we got most of the fish out of the pond and measured, weighed and recorded them.

We were able to take them to Camp Chowenwaw Park where they will live for a little bit until the new pond is ready for them.

It was a fun thing to do! I felt very happy that I got to help out with the construction of the camp. I can’t wait for the camp to be all the way done!

No comments:

Post a Comment